Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ife's Post - June 14

Ife's Post - June 14
7 days ago 0 comments Categories: Underground Railroad Tour 2011 Tags: underground railroad, cycling, youth
 
blog_33_0.JPG
Yesterday, on Monday June 13th,  a lovely couple named Sara and Daryl, opened their home to us in Blountsville, Alabama. They took us on a tour of their home and their land, and when I say it was amazingly eye opening I really mean it was AMAZING.

Their home was almost completely run on natural resources. With solar panels to give them light, hot water for their sinks, and heat for their cookers. After some of the members took a dip the lake/pond, and meeting their cool friend Martha, Sara took a few of us on a tour of their land. This was the point when I realized that I could possibly one day live in a farm-like deeply wooded place (minus the ticks).
The Garden
She taught me the difference between poison ivy and blackberry or other leaves. She showed us the Butterfly flower/weed that looks simply like a flower, but actually helps lung cancer. She showed us a lavender looking plant that calms stomach cramps, and a Lemon-grass plant that you eat to make you happy! (Which I believe actually worked). Etc etc... The endless possibilities of nature were shown to me within one hour, and I'm so thankful to have had that experience.

Thanks Suepinda, Kevin, Sara, and Daryl!


Spoke 'n Revolutions Youth Cycling UGRR Tour 2011 ~ Visit the nation's National Parks.
Let's Move Outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment