Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26 ~ Ride Day 10 (Rain Day 1)

It's raining here in KY and it doesn't show signs of letting up until later this afternoon.  The rain began at 4am.  Mahlique alerted us that he had seen lightening so the decision was made to put the Youth Cyclists in the van for the night after ensuring the tents were secured.  Anything that didn't fit in the van we put into the tents.

I elected to stay in my tent as opposed to sleeping upright. Felt a bit anxious as the thunder rolled and the rain poured. Much like sitting in a dentist's chair with the drill going full speed. I opted to put in my earbuds and listen to some calmer rain; how ironic.  

Suepinda joined me at 5am and we continued to sleep undisturbed. 

It is now 9:30am and the storm resumed at 9:00.  This ride day is a bust, the van is crowed and my battery is low on the laptop. We sleep inside tonight! Although I enjoy camping in the rough not many of the Youth Cyclists have been prepared for this type of adventure.  I'm very proud of them all. Under duress the personalities really come out and they have worked thru the quirkiness of each other. Although I agree with Holly that they should have caught up on their blogging, yesterday was another bonding moment for them all.

I've given a few of them new nicknames that probably won't stick but are appropriate: Kyvon "Ifel" Brown (for his unwavering ability to fall off his bike while standing still, Marshall "Crash" Lewis (for his daredevil ability - which we ardently trying to curb - to plow thru bushes) and Chris "Kayak" Dargan (for his episode in Edenton, NC last year but not to be upstaged by Kyvon and Marshall).

I'll complete this update once we reach the YMCA.


Spoke 'n Revolutions Youth Cycling UGRR Tour 2011 ~ Visit the nation's National Parks. 
Let's Move Outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment